Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: problem when recording audio & using ews64 synth a

  1. #1
    Inactive Member eelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.
    I have recently bought a new computer, a PIII 866 with an Asus CUV4X MB (via689x)
    I am using Cakewalk pro audio 9 and the latest Ews drivers.
    I was being very happy and all, until I wanted to record some vocals. when I'm using the ews synth and the waverecord in at the same time, everything turns into a complete mess. playback drops almost to half speed and the recorded audio sounds like crap (spikes and stuff) I have called Terratec and they couldn't give me the answer. so I used their support from but I still got no reply.
    who can help me out? thanx

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    (I could do this in Dutch, but other users have to understand it as well wink )
    I don't use the kind of configuration you have, so I only can give some general remarks.
    1. Did you call Terratec Benelux or Terratec Germany? Benelux is good, but in Germany they have more information. It's best to wait 'till the Cebit is over though... wink
    2. I guess your mainboard is a type that still has an ISA slot, otherwise you couldn't use the EWS. But the important thing here is: I don't know if you filled up all pci-slots in your computer. Anyway, read that manual that comes with the Asus mainboard. There should be a table in it that says which pci slot is shared with the ISA slot. The bottom line: make sure that the pci-slot that's shared with the ISA slot is EMPTY (there's a good chance that if you have 4 pci slots it's slot number 4). It may speed up things and it's worth a try.
    Good luck,
    Arnoud.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member eelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    thanx for your fast response.
    I have called Terratec nl...
    there are five pci slots on my mb, and I use none of them...

    (I made a small typing error, the chipset is a Via 694x wink )

  4. #4
    Inactive Member eelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    update:
    I have returned my Asus CUV4X to the shop and ordered a Abit BX133 raid. Today I received the package but it contained a Abit BE-6 II frown so I returned it immediately...
    I guess i'm just having a lot of bad luck right here wink

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Beta-Decay's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,417
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very bad luck indeed...

    We all wish you will have good luck!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member eelco's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    update...

    I received my abit bx133 a few days later, it worked a lot better but I still had some spikes when recording audio and using midi 1 at the same time... but I bought an EWS88MT, and now everything works FINE! (I use the EWS88 for audiorecording)

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Very good choice. I also have an MT and I'm very satisfied with it. biggrin

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Andras Haasz's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2001
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Back to the Original problem...
    I was the same problem (with a BX mb), and I found a solution that maybe help You:
    1.
    Go to control panel>system>device manager> Terratec audio devices> Terratec EWS64 XL Synth> and set the wave player buffer to 15ms.
    2.
    in Cakewalk, at the audio options you find somewhere a button named "use waveout position" or something like this... so it must be unchecked! (the default is checked).
    I hope it resolves your problem...
    bye
    Andras

    ------------------------------------------
    I am the voice of PinkNoise!
    -----------------------------------------

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Arnoud de Jong's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    More a general remark (as Andras was much more to the point here): those horrible crackling/spiking noises are in many cases related to latency settings. This I noticed when I was playing aroung a bit with Reason. I was working on a powerful system (Pentium III 933Mhz with 256 MB) and with the standard latency settings I got terrible soundspikes (although the processor load was not high at all!). However, increasing the latency helped immediately. You also have to experiment with the latency settings when you activate more tracks or plugins.
    Good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •